The BVKM is short for the 'Belangenvereniging Van Kleine Mensen' or 'Association of Little People'. We are the unique association in the Netherlands for little people, and collect al men and women shorter than 1m55, although the average length is about 1m30.
The BVKM has more than 300 members. The total amount of inhabitants of the Netherlands is about 16.000.000 inhabitants. We know there are much more inhabitants in the Netherlands who can be, because of their length, potentially member of our association, but who don't have any reason to ask for membership, because they have no interest in seeing people of their own stature: they find it 'normal' to live between persons of average length.
Although the people of the Netherlands are the tallest people in the world! The average Dutch man is about 1m84, and the average Dutch woman is about 1m70. About half of our members has achondroplasia as a reason for their short-stature, all others a mix of 40 reasons.
bvkm exists for
- people who at adult age have a body length smaller than 1.55 metres
- children, under the age of 18 years, who expect to have a small adult body length, and their parents
- to serve the common and individual interests of all its members
- to maintain contacts with government departments, other agencies and interested parties to attract collaboration/co-operation from various professionals and groups
- to maintain contacts with similar organisations in other countries
- a three monthly magazine 'De Vriendschap' (The Friendship), members and supporters receive this for free
- several brochures including 'Klein door een stoornis, medische informatie' (Small because of a disturbance, medical information) and 'het syndroom van Turner' (Turner's syndrome)
bvkm yearly events
- general meetings
- a new year, and a summer meeting, special weekends
- meetings for parents of affected children and for the children themselves, meetings for young members 12-21 years old
- regional meetings
BVKM working parties and contacts
- information and research
- international contacts
- parents groups
- youth representatives
- regional representatives
- representative Turner Syndrome
this website has a forum, for discussion: forum
Membership and support
You can be a member for € 25,00 per year if your body length is under 1m55 for your child, under the age of 18 years, of who is expected that their adult body length will be little.
Or you can be a supporter for € 17,50 minimum per year if you want to support our union For more information just contact the contact International: contact page internationaal
If you want to write a note:
P.O. Box 3152
2130 KD Hoofddorp